Sunday, September 16, 2018

My current students Isaac and Arianna.





On 28.4.2018 I saw a Facebook post by Rotary Club of Luyang, Kota Kinabalu with the heading ‘Promoting literacy in Nepal’. The talk was to be given by one Ms.Doreen Johnston.

The topic attracted my attention and I requested to attend. Rotarian Kenneth Tan accepted my request.


I attended the talk on 3.5.2018. At the end of the talk, guests were asked to introduce themselves and I said that I teach ‘shut down kids’ and explained what I meant by ‘shut down kids’ and that many kids are loosely classified as dyslexic.

A few days later a lady by the name of Alisha Kelvin telephoned me and said that Rotarian Kent Chau had told her to contact me with regard to two of her children who could not read in English.  I informed her that I was busy and will be busy until Hari Raya (15.6.2018) was over.

She called me again after Hari Raya and I requested her to visit me at my house and that I will tell her how to teach her children. 

However, after talking to her and meeting the two children I could not turn them down. I arranged for them to come for tuition which started on 20.6.2018.

The elder boy is in primary five aged 11 years old while the girl is in primary three aged 8 years old. I decided to take them, despite having decided not to teach anymore, because they were very keen on learning to read.

I tested them for about 5 minutes each and was confident in being able to get them to read within 4 months and I told the mother so. For the first week, they came 3 times a week and then we decided that two times a week would be more appropriate.

Both of them were unable to read even simple sentences and they could not spell any of the Dolch words like; with, but, here, and, by, etc.

By the twentieth lesson on 23.8.2018, both of them were able to read reasonably well. I am confident that they will be able to read at grade level after the next 20 lessons.

Alisha is grateful that Rotarian Kent Chau had introduced me to her and happy that her children can now read.

She had arranged for the two children to request leave from their schools to enable her to take them to Kuala Lumpur for therapy by The Dyslexia Association for three months. She decided against it after her children had had a few lessons with me.

Attached below is a hand written letter from the mother. For ease of reading I have typed out what she wrote.

                                                                                                                        15.8.2018
Dear Mr.Luqman Michel,
Before my two kids, Isaac (11 years old) and Arianna (9 years old) came to see you in June 2018, they were unable to read and spell well. They were not able to catch up with school lessons. Even slow learner class in school do not help them much.

Eventually they had lost their interest in study and being teased by students and disciplined by teachers.

Isaac had changed to special learning class in a private school for 6 months but there is no improvement.

In March 2018, I have brought my kids for an assessment by Dyslexia Association in Kuala Lumpur. They have been diagnosed as Dyslexic. We have made arrangements to send them both for 3 months programme in Kuala Lumpur. They said if there is still no improvement then we have to stay another 3 months in Kuala Lumpur. They do not have a similar programme in Sabah.

Fortunately, Rotary Club member informed me about Mr.Luqman and asked me to see him. I made an appointment and Mr.Luqman had seen my kids. He explained these kids happen to shut down when they could not learn.

After Mr.Luqman and his wife taught my kids twice a week for 2 months my kids are able to read more and more words as well as to spell words. They do not need to go to Kuala Lumpur.

I am grateful and appreciate your efforts and genuine heart for kids like mine. I wish more teachers and parents know the technique you teach as written in your book 'Shut down kids'. I have read your book.

Thank you.
Alisha Kelvin.


Here is the actual letter from her.


6 comments:

  1. Re-take the photo of the letter, in landscape, top half and bottom half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the suggestion . I will do as suggested. Wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best photo I can get. I will type it out verbatim for easier reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On 15.11.2018 Alisha came for a visit with both her children. Alisha is now teaching in a home school and has taken her two children out from school to home school them both.

    Alisha is teaching in the home school where her two children have been enrolled.
    Alisha said that they are both improving in their reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After 27 one hour lesson the mother decided to take the children out of the school SK Kolombong and home school them. She found a job as a teacher in a home school and has placed her two children in that school. I believe it would have been better to have another 10 lessons with me but the mother was overjoyed with their progress and since she had the job as a home school teacher she could not send them for tuition with me.If they keep reading they will be able to read at grade level within a few months.

    ReplyDelete