Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Xaviera - My former student


Xaviera came to me for tuition on 27.3.2017 when she was 3 months into primary one. Xaviera could speak very well in English as she had attended two years of kindergarten in an International School in Labuan. Furthermore, the language of communication at home was in English. After talking with her mother, Puan Ebbie Hassan, for about half an hour I asked Zaviera to read out a few alphabets to me. Some alphabets were written in large prints followed by letters in smaller prints. She could read all of them which showed that her eyesight was good.

Her pronunciation of the sounds of the alphabets was what confirmed that she was a shutdown kid.

I told Puan Ebbie that I was confident and will be able to get Xaviera to read within four months of one hour lesson three times a week.

I weaned off Xaviera after three and a half months. Recently after more than a year, I had the pleasure of meeting Puan Ebbie who told me that Xaviera is reading well and is now in St. Francis Convent. Puan Ebbie was so happy that she had sent Xaviera to me for tuition. This is especially so because   tuition centres had given up hope in getting Xaviera to learn to read.

                 
A paediatrician from Gelneagles and a psychologist from a private clinic whom Puan Ebbie and Xaviera had visited had diagnosed Xaviera as a slow learner.

It is unfortunate that many psychologists, paediatricians, teachers, doctors and clinicians diagnose a child who cannot read in English as a slow learner or dyslexic. Both these terms are in no way helpful to a parent who desperately wants to know why a kid who is so intelligent is unable to read in English.

Here is something Puan Ebbie posted in her Facebook page a few days after our meeting.



Ebbie Hassan is feeling amazing with Atiqah Abd and 2 others.
July 8 ·
HOW TO PREVENT

XAVIERA was a Shut Down kid before. This book is about kids like her..amazing right
She's smart and talks a lot. But she just dont even recognise her ABC and hvg hard time to learn reading few years back. With help and love of teacher Luqman Michel ..after 3.5 months she did it tremendously.

Now, she become more happier, funner, nottier, confident and her brain creatively well functioning.
We did the intervention earlier at 6 yrs old for her as a shutdown kids @dyslexic kid after check up with Dr Fauziah, Paediatrics in Gleaneagles. Alhamdulillah .
Mommies n dads..Dont give up and dont stop searching and reading.
If u hvg similarity u may get this book. I hv few copies and u can drop by at Propaxs at Jalan Pantai.
Sharing love is MAGICAL
Happy Sunday to oll beautiful souls!!
Here is a YouTube video I recorded impromptu of Puan Ebbie Hassan.





2 comments:

  1. As I mentioned in my post above, many professionals take the easy way out and say a child is 'dyslexic' or a 'slow learner'. Both these terms are not at all helpful to a parent who is desperate to know how to get help for her child to read.

    Here is what I found on the internet about 'Slow learner'.
    A “slow learner” is not a diagnostic category, it is a term people use to describe a student who has the ability to learn necessary academic skills, but at rate and depth below average same age peers. ... Reasoning skills are typically delayed, which makes new concepts difficult to learn.

    By the definition able I would challenge the doctor who said that Xaviera /wasis a slow learner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a long discussion with Dr.Atiqua who was very polite. She bought my book 'Shut down kids'. She has left for USM Penang to do another Masters degree. I wish her all the best.

    Meanwhile, my attempt to contact Dr.Fauziah has been futile. I do hope that more professionals become aware of why many kids cannot read and will not classify every kids who cannot read as a slow learner or dyslexic.

    ReplyDelete