Tuesday, January 22, 2019

My first student for 2019



On 4th January the father of a primary 4 kid came to my house on the introduction of someone who has heard of my tuition.

I spoke with the father for about 15 minutes and then spoke with his son who spoke good English. Then I asked him to recite the alphabets from the letter A to Z which he did easily.

I then asked him for the sounds of the alphabets b, c, f, m, n, and l. All in, I spoke with the kid for no more than 3 minutes.

I then told the father that I can get the kid to read by 4 months and possibly within 2 months of 3 one hour lesson three times a week. The father was a little skeptical.

I told the father to write me a little history of the kid which he gave me during the third visit on 8.1.2019 when I had the second lesson with the kid. This history is hand written as requested by me. 

He said that he had sent his son to Dr. Fauziah of Gleneagles. After an hour and a half of consultation she had diagnosed him as dyslexic. The father is waiting for a ‘Orang Kurang Upaya’ (OKU) card which is a disability card so that he may transfer his son to a school catering to such kids. The card will be issued by Dr. Fauziah only after the kid has been assessed by a psychologist. 

Meanwhile I told the father that his son is a very smart kid and should have no problem learning to read.

Questions for you to ponder: How is it that I dare say such a thing when the father said that this kid is not able to read even a single sentence? How is it that I dare say this when the father had said his son cannot spell a single word?

No comments:

Post a Comment