Tuesday, January 22, 2019

My first student for 2019 (Part 2)



Here is a transcript of the hand written letter from the father of my first student for 2019.

5th Jan 2019
History of Emmanuel Adrian Chin Xiaw Chien
Born: 13.6.2019
Kindergarten: Tadika Bersatu Luyang, Age 4 to 6 years old (3 years)
Primary           : SJK (C) St. James, Likas. Age 7 to now (Primary 4)

Emmanuel grew up in the city. A natural birth without any abnormalities. He started to walk at the age of two and a half and started talking at 3 years old. 

He started learning English and Chinese in kindergarten but we did not suspect anything wrong. In primary 1, the teacher from St.James noticed that he was poor in reading in all languages. But speaking is not a problem. As a result, he was put under ‘small group’ with other students of the same category. We also sent him to ‘Smart Reader’ tuition. After 2 months, no result at all.

In primary 2, ‘the small group’ class was not done. In primary 3, he was ostracized by the teacher. I got to know this when my elder sister relayed this to me. He was made to sit alone right at the back of the classroom. 

That prompted me to seek for proper help. Did not know what to do, I just asked around. My sister told me about SK Bahang. In early November, I went to SK Bahang and I was told to go to SK Kibabaig in Penampang. I met the vice principal and she asked me to consult Dr.Fauziah from Gleneagles and get the certification for dyslexia for my son. I made the appointment for January 2019.

In January I met Dr.Fauziah with my son. We had one and a half hours consultation and the doctor said that Emmanuel is dyslexic. She told me to meet Dr. Atiqah to certify his IQ test before Dr.Fauziah can issue an ‘OKU’ card (Disability Card) to enable him to go to a special class. She suggested to go to SK Kolombong. The school has a class for dyslexic students.

Here is the photo of the note given to me by the father of my first student for 2019.


No comments:

Post a Comment